Clifton Village, a small village on the south bank of the Trent,
four miles south west of Nottingham, contains a number of rural cottages
and more modern residences, as well as a working farm. In a leafy backwater
you will encounter Clifton Hall, originally the beautiful seat of the
Clifton family. Situated in ancient groves of oak, fir and elm, it commands
extensive views over the Trent, Nottingham, and the surrounding countryside.
Clifton Grove, a grassy avenue of trees a mile in length and, in more
grandiose days, the main access to the hall from Nottingham, still affords
an energetic cliff top walk with views over the Trent, as it meanders
its way through the landscape. No wonder the poet Henry Kirk White found
the area an inspiration for one of his earliest poems. The Hall, the
seat of the Clifton family for many centuries, stands upon a rock of
gypsum heavily veined by a beautiful spa. The adjacent church, dedicated
to St Mary, though ancient, is well preserved. Restored in 1846 and
beautified at the sole expense of the patron, Sir J.G.J. Clifton Bart,
it is built in the form of a cross, with a lofty tower, containing four
bells. It is also the repository of the family vault of the Cliftons.
One of the few villages in the nation set within a city boundary, the
village offers a few acres of heritage and tranquillity in the midst
of the urban expansion of Nottingham. Clifton Village still maintains
traditional May Day celebrations at the site of the original Maypole,
as well as many regular social gatherings that enhance and maintain
a strong community spirit.
Press play to hear audio history of Clifton Village